Wednesday, September 14, 2011

KA's First Day of School

So today was Kerriann's first day of school, and it was not an easy one for Kerriann or mommy.  Her school likes for them to be dropped off by 9 am because of the structure they follow (circle time, activities, outdoor play, etc.) so I dropped her off around 8:50 am.  I could tell as we walked in that this was not going to be easy.  No one was working at the front desk (a teacher unlocked the door for us, don't worry, the place is secure!), so we made our way back to the "young preschoolers" classroom.

By this point I could sense that Kerriann was feeling uneasy.  As soon as we walked into the room one of her teachers scooped her up and started chatting with her and trying to help her feel at home.  This lady is so sweet, and is also a military spouse.  She's survived deployments which is one of the things that sold me on this center.  From talking to her for about 30 minutes when we visited, I could tell that Kerriann would be in good, loving and understanding hands.  So as she held Kerriann and started to turn her the other way, I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and bolted.  Not only to keep KA from freaking out, but to make sure I made it out the door before I started crying.  The teacher asked me how I was doing (knowing that Kevin had just left) and I couldn't even answer.

It's not that I'm falling apart, I actually feel like I'm handling the separation really well, I'm just feeling extremely emotional with all of the changes that have taken place this week.  Kevin's departure and Kerriann's first day of school, not to mention my classes are really starting to pick up with midterms and presentations looming in the very near future, has just been a lot to handle.  With that said, I'm feeling much better tonight and I'm hoping that this feeling will continue into tomorrow!

Here's one of Kerriann unwinding after school today.  She looked like a mess when she got home... remind me not to send her in a white shirt again!  You can't tell here, but she had spots all over it!



I'm hoping to get back to updating my blog pretty regularly, now that Kevin is away.  I know he will love reading the updates, and I want to have a good log of what we did while he was away!  I'm also attempting to revive my photo a day project, although I probably won't put it on a separate blog.  I'll just try to incorporate the photos into this blog.

Here are a few photos we took of Kerriann a couple of weeks ago when she went into school for a couple of hours to get acquainted with the place.  They are so cute I just have to share, even though they aren't her "official" first day of school pictures.  I just wasn't put together enough to take those this morning!


1 comment:

  1. Look how adorable she looks! I hope she is loving school. My daughter loves her friends at daycare!

    I haven't been commenting much but I have been thinking of you. I know being apart is difficult - my sister was apart from her husband for a period of time when he served in Afghanistan. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete