Friday, March 18, 2011

How YOU Can Help Japan

Last week while we were in Florida visiting my Grandma, we all woke up early on Friday morning, around 5am.  We were in shock as we turned on CNN.  Just a few hours earlier a 8.9 magnitude earthquake had hit Japan, followed by a devastating 23 foot tsunami. 


For the past week, I have watched in horror as the story unfolded.  This is the first natural disaster that I have really followed in my adult life, and the coverage shown on the news has been heartbreaking.  At first I couldn't even believe that the videos of the tsunami waves crashing over Japan were real, it looked like something out of a movie!  But now that it has been a week and it has sunk in that this is real for the country of Japan, I really want to help and encourage others to help.  I know most of us probably aren't in the best financial situations ourselves, but if everyone who reads this donates a little, it could add up to something bigger that will make a difference.  If you are a Starbucks addict, smoker, or you have some other daily splurge (even one fast food meal) that you make on a daily basis, give that up for a day or two.  If every person who reads this donates $10, it could add up fast. 



The easiest way to donate that I have discovered so far is through the Red Cross.  All you have to do is text "REDCROSS" to the number 90999 and $10 will be added to your monthly cell phone bill.  I'm pretty sure you can do this as many times as you want, and this is the donation route that I have used.


Another route I have discovered is donating to the non-profit organization Shelter Box USA.  I learned of it through a fellow blogger.  You can read more about Shelter Box USA here. In summary, through the web site firstgiving.com, you can donate money towards "shelter boxes" which are large green boxes "tailored to a disaster that typically contain a disaster relief tent for an extended family, blankets, water storage and purification equipment, cooking utensils, a stove, a basic tool kit, a children’s activity pack and other vital items." A box costs $1,000, and this non-profit organization has set a goal of raising enough money to send at least 5 shelter boxes to families in Japan.  They have already met their goal, but I still think this is a great organization to help.  To donate to Shelter Box USA, click here and then click on the big green "give now" button at the top of bottom of the page.
If you really aren't in the financial situation to give, I ask that you at least keep the citizens of Japan (and other countries who might be stranded there) in your prayers as they pick up the pieces following one of the worst natural disasters in recorded history.

7 comments:

  1. i'm with you! just doesn't seem real!

    thanks for posting information you found about how to help! it's crazy to think of all that happened and that it could've been way worse if japan hadn't been so advanced in terms of building codes.

    found you on ftlob, loved your blog title :) <3 dierks, hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So devastating whats going on! My heart is with Japan <3
    Great post!
    Lovely blog you have here! I'm visiting from FTLOB. Hope you had a fantastic Friday!
    ~Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, I think it is so important to spread this info!
    Stopped over from FTLOB. Have a good weekend!
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the FTLOB weekend wander......what a great post! And great information about where and how you can help, with different options! It is always so amazing when Mother Nature steps in. I am with you and hope that others also reach out when possible

    ReplyDelete
  5. here from FTLOB. Wonderful post today...lots of information. Thank you.
    May you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You write beautifully. I am with you in that it is hard to believe the devastation going on. We are so lucky to be in a position to give instead of on the other end:-( Prayers for Japan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for stopping by... I'm glad that my post was helpful! I just wish there was more that I could do!

    ReplyDelete