Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fort Monroe

So, I almost forgot to share one of my favorite stops on our trip, Fort Monroe!  I think it was my favorite because I miss being on/near/around an Army post so much!  I felt right at home having my military ID checked as we went through the gate, and then as I drove around post passing the commissary and PX while I searched for the historic Casemate Museum.  If you want to learn more about Fort Monroe, and its historical significance click here.  It's really very interesting, but would be a lot for me to explain!

It took me a few minutes of searching to realize that to enter the museum and fort section of post, you had to pass over the moat through a tiny tunnel in the wall.  For safety purposes, there was a stop light directing one way traffic through the four different gates...

 A little history...


 "Freedom's Fortress"...

 The inside that held the Casemate Museum... really creepy... especially for those of us with claustrophobia out there!
 A random pet cemetery was placed on the top of the fort's walls...
 Confinement where former Confederate President Jefferson Davis was held for two years...



 I thought this was really neat!
 The Ruth Window...


No comments:

Post a Comment