Monday, October 3, 2011

Military Spouse Advice

While browsing Pinterest, I came across a pin linked to a blog post titled Mission Possible: Staying Together While Apart.  Of course this pin peaked my interest so I decided to take a few minutes to read the post.

I am so glad that I did.

If you are a military spouse dealing with separation whether it be due to a deployment or training exercise, I encourage you to read this post by Marshele Carter Waddell.

A few of my favorite pieces of advice from this article include:

  • Listening to your song (or favorite songs that hold special meaning to you and your spouse) while writing a letter to your spouse telling them how much they mean to you
  • Take time to write not only emails, but hand written letters
  • Keep a blog and update daily while your loved one is away to help them feel connected to your daily routine
  • Choose a rare naturally occurring event such as spotting a shooting star or a rainbow and let your loved one know that whenever either of you sees one of these, it should serve as a reminder of your love for one another
  • And last but not least, plan a couple's getaway for soon after their return... I would love for us to be able to take our honeymoon once this deployment ends!
I know this was a little more sappy than my usual posts, but hopefully those of you who have never had to deal with a long separation will excuse this, and those of you who have/are currently dealing with one will be able to relate and find Waddell's article helpful!

In other news, I forgot to share that last week I received my first handwritten letter from Kevin.  It was a great surprise and I can't wait until we are able to get an address for him and start sending him letters and care packages.  We'll keep family and friends posted whenever we do get contact information for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment