Friday, May 27, 2011

Remember This Weekend

I'll start off with saying HAPPY FRIDAY because I know so many people have been anxiously awaiting this holiday weekend.  But as people start their celebrations today I hope that they will remember the reason behind the Memorial Day Weekend holiday.  It is to memorialize and remember all the men and women who have died in service.  As I was starting to write this post, I was curious about the history of Memorial Day.  Everything I see on the television and radio in regards to Memorial Day is related to grilling, drinking, heading to the beach, etc.  So many people see it as just a "kick off to summer" weekend, although I knew that wasn't the case.  So I did some Googling and found information from this site that I wanted to share.  

"To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps." 

I know that on Monday I am going to take the time to remember the brave men and women who have given their lives for me, and I hope that you will join me in doing the same.  I will also take the time to thank the soldiers who continue to serve, risking their lives for me and my family and friends.  Please don't forget to take the time out of your weekend to thank any service members that you see.  I know they would really appreciate it. 


So thank you to my wonderful husband, Kevin, my brother in law, Sean, and all of the other soldiers that I have met over the past few years for making so many sacrifices and for devoting your careers to keeping us safe.
I'm so proud and thankful to have met you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment